The Chief Development Officer (CDO) leads the philanthropic efforts of The Milwaukee Rep. This position works in partnership with the Managing Director and Trustees to ensure financial resources necessary to support this important cultural asset in the community. The Chief Development Officer (CDO) is responsible for development and implementation of all fundraising and stewardship activity including comprehensive annual giving program that would include cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of all individual and institutional prospects and donors, as well as any capital or special purpose campaigns. The CDO reports directly to the Managing Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Develop, execute, & oversee implementation of Annual Departmental Plan that defines strategic priorities
• Design, execute, and oversee a strategic & comprehensive Annual Giving program that focuses on acquisition of new donors, retention of current donors, and increased giving by current donors as well as ongoing donor relations and specific moves management support. This program needs to include strategies for various constituencies (Individuals, Corporate and Foundation funders)
• Develop strategies, lead, manage, and provide active staff support for Capital Campaign and provide support to all volunteers and various campaign division committee members
• Solicit major gifts for both annual and capital campaigns and any other special projects as they arise
• Conduct active and consistent stewardship of all major donors included in CDO portfolio with regular, multi-faceted contact
• Work with the Director of Major and Planned Giving on all major and planned gift strategies, for both annual and capital campaigns
• Work with the Director of Annual Giving and the Associate Director of Annual Giving to develop and execute a comprehensive annual giving program that includes solicitation of major portfolio gifts with Trustees, institutional giving including government, corporations, and foundations, all direct mail, electronic, online, and Telefunding solicitations to maximize and increase giving at all levels each season
• Oversee all Donor Relations/Stewardship activities and Patron Benefits in conjunction with the entire Development Staff.
• Work with staff and Trustees to manage Major Donor Portfolio oversight that includes both assignments of prospects to staff or volunteer managers and regular monitoring of Moves Management.
• Work with Special Events Manager who oversees all events, including Donor Benefits activity, to better steward donors at every level
• Recruit and manage volunteers in support of annual giving campaign
• Work with the Database Manager to identify & research donor prospects
• Coordinate Trustee involvement in Rep and UPAF annual appeals.
• Manage and mentor the Development staff members
• Serve on Senior Staff and work with other Senior Staff members to provide support and collaboration where appropriate, required, and beneficial. Coordinate fundraising activities with various Department Heads where their involvement and participation provides artistic, production, and institutional interface with donors
• Staffs the Development Committee
JOB REQUIREMENTS (Qualifications, Skills and Physical Demands)
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
• Seven - ten years of progressively responsible experience leading a fundraising function
• Demonstrated success in cultivating major gifts and exposure to capital campaign
• Reports to the Managing Director and works closely with the trustees
• Supervises (5 Direct Reports)
• Philanthropic support of $4M annually and capital campaign leadership